February 22, 2014

LISBOA OR LISBON OR LISBONA OR LISBONNE


I don't get the point why they translate city names? Isn't it the identity of a place? Same thing when people call me Martha when I'm Marta. I understand is all to make it easier for people who can't pronunce well because of the language, but common let's make an effort. At least I smile when a foreigner says Lisboa instead of Lisbon or Porto instead of Oporto, doesn't it sound much better Milano instead of Milan?


Hmmm let's talk about LisboA. I think it's a pretty awesome place with many hidden spots to discover, it keeps the old buildings and you have a true feeling what is portuguese culture. You cannot miss a Fado night or Bairro Alto by night or day. Many artistic and alternative places you can express yourself. What I like best is that there's always a lot to do, if I wanna go to the theater or any interesting workshop gotta travel almost 300 kms to come to Lisboa. Also is a great escape from your confort zone, when you live in the South and you decide to attend College in Lisboa, completly different World, where you can get lost easily. I would. All the parties every night plus after parties and after after parties, it's madness! (I'm living that right now, please someone take me back South, too muc fun going on)

I'm a pround capital person :) But the truth is: I wouldn't be happy to live in Lisboa. It's too big, too much stress, I can't see myself taking a bus one hour per day to go back home, or spending almost all my money in a expensive home in downtown? I prefer peace, cycling, relax places. But Lisboa is still in my heart and great for a week.

7 comments:

  1. Bela imagem de um cantinho de Lisboa!! É a minha querida cidadade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. É uma cidade cheia de mistérios e vida, adoro! Tenho pena que as ultimas vezes que tenho vindo cá está sempre mau tempo e assim não posso explorar como deve de ser.

      Delete
  2. The translated names are strange to me, too. I grew up in Italy with the Italian translations of Roman names, didn't know mount Vesuvius was not Mount Vesuvio for a long while. ;) Random stuff like that. Jealous of your world travels, can't wait to get exploring again. But first, fund-raising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, nice blog :-) and totally gotcha! 1. about the cities, I do not really get it either.. can you believe in some countries they even change the "new" for New York?! 2. about your name, tell me about it! I am Monika and (sooooooo) not Monica! Nice reading you, Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuuu, I did answer on my blog as well and forgot to mention: the "World citizen" which caught my attention ;-)

      Delete
  4. I don't like to translate city names either, especially Porto's. O'Porto just sounds so wrong.
    As for Lisbon, I fought against living here for a long time but I'm liking it a little more. However, I recently found out that I feel I would be happier in a more quiet and smaller place. Ah well... Maybe one day. :)

    www.joanofjuly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisbon is pretty, cultural and full of identity but too big and messy! I'd prefer a smaller place just like you. The best would be na house in a small village, 10 minutes away by bike from a city :D

      Delete

What's in your mind? Express yourself :)